Home Features Anglican priest recounts ordeal with suspected ritualists…how God saved him

Anglican priest recounts ordeal with suspected ritualists…how God saved him

by Church Times


People of God, praise God for and with me, He truly delivered and Honoured me today.

Since I was going to moderate the programme, I left home by 1pm to beat the traffic to the venue of Day 19 of the ongoing 21 Days Fasting and Prayer programme organized by Anglican Diocese of Lagos – The Memorial!

The venue today was first Church in Lagos – Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Ebute Ero. The programme went well and Immediately after the programme, I set out to go back home. Just as I got into the car around 7:37pm, my wife called to check on me and I told her that I was about to leave the Island, thereafter, I moved.

As I negotiated left at Adeniji Adele junction, (Oyebanji), I saw two men looking wretched and helpless standing on the bridge amongst others, on a good day, I wouldn’t wait on that bridge, I served on the Island and I know that the place is not safe at all but somehow, I was led to give them money, I brought out my wallet, stepped on the break, waved at them, whine down the glass and stretched out my hand to give them money, hmnnn, that was the last thing I remembered!

Before I knew it, I suddenly met myself at Oyingbo still driving, I was wondering, how did I get here? Immediately, I picked my phone to call my wife and said to her, please pray with me because I was sensing danger in the spirit. Affirmatively, she assured me that I would be fine.

As soon as I finished speaking with my wife, I kept my phone in the car safe and made a U-turn at Oyingbo market heading home. Then I noticed two men sitting at the back of the car through the inner mirror. They turned to be the two men I was trying to help. I parked, unfastened the sit bet, turned back and confidently asked “what are you both doing in my car?.

To my greatest surprise, the man stretched his hand to slap me but I was able to dodge it, then the other guy said “Ohhh, this mumu man ti jase yi shaaa”(meaning this man has spoilt our work/show).

Without wasting time, they opened the door and got down from the car. My heart was breathing fast, it was like I was in a dream land. I took courage to move on, I was shaking, hot and cold at the same time.

I negotiated under the bridge to link Idumota road, went through the traffic and as I got to Marina road, my phone rang with a strange number calling; I picked it and the man was crying and said, “please forgive me, I took your wallet but I’m not feeling fine right now, I feel like fire is burning within me, where are you?”

I asked, where did you get my phone number? From your complimentary card in the wallet. Whaoooo, within me I felt I was in for a serious show today. I wanted to tell him to leave me alone but I heard a voice “There shall be no loss”. At that time, I checked and noticed that my wallet was truly missing. I said to him, bring it to the front of the Church at CMS, I’ll be waiting for you. After about 15 minutes, he arrived and was begging and crying.

Honestly, I was scared of collecting the wallet but I summoned courage, opened the boot and told him to put it therein, closed the boot and remembered that I have two different tracts in the car, gave it to him and said to him, Jesus loves you, give your life to Jesus, He will save you completely. I told him read the tracts, then I prayed with him with my eyes wide opened and told him “go and sin no more”, then I left.

As I moved and negotiated at the Lagos government house in Marina, I noticed traffic along Bonny camp road, then I took left and climbed the bridge to link Osborne road via Lekki. As I got to Osborne road, my car stopped working on the high way. What is it again?

At this juncture, I was worried, frozen. I was the only one in the car. I bowed my head on the wheel and said, “Lord Jesus, please take your place and see me through”. I called my mechanic on phone since he resides on the Island. I’ll be with you in few minutes, he promised.

As I waited in the car, two guys came and asked me to whine down the glass, I refused and was speaking in tongues in the car. Few minutes later, a patrol van came from behind and was just going on it’s own, then the guys ran away. Then my mechanic arrived, checked the car, fixed it and I left the trouble zone. Till I got home, it was like a dream.

Dearly Beloved, Jesus Christ is real. He delivered and Honoured me. As you serve Him, He will deliver you too, I’m a living testimony!

Please praise the Lord on my behalf.

The Venerable Philip A. Akinwande

Related Posts

Leave a Comment